Dear Supermarkets: please can we have some more?

At the weekend one of my followers, Daniel (@GlasgowOsteo), sent me a tweet voicing his frustration at the lack of premade, no-cook, gluten-free lunch options at supermarkets.

I RT’d the observation, and although Kevin of the Gluten Free by the Sea blog pointed out that GF sandwiches are now available at M&S, Waitrose and Sainsbury’s, and one or two other suggestions were forthcoming, I was left with the feeling that this was more of a problem to coeliacs than I’d previously appreciated.

Another follower, Elaine (@Eisie), wrote: “We GF tweeps should draw up a wishlist of food developments in 2013 – eg premade lunches – and share them with supermarkets”.

And what a bloody good idea that was.

Whether this will work is anyone’s guess, but this is what I’m proposing. Leave a comment below, specifying what gluten-free (and dairy-free, other-free) lunch options you’d like to see (or see more of) at supermarkets.

It can be one, it can be more than one, but please keep it all succinct so I can copy and paste the suggestions easily and send them to the press departments / ‘free from’ developers at the supermarkets without too much editing. I’ll probably send to Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, Morrison’s, M&S and Waitrose, but shout if you’d like it to go to others I've neglected or not thought of (Co-op?), and I’ll see what I can do. We can give them, say, a month or so to respond, and I’ll reproduce any responses we get here on the blog at a later date.

Although it was lunch options that got this idea in motion, feel free to leave other suggestions – but stick to products you’d like to see supermarkets stock, please, rather than eg cafés or eateries.

Away you go.

Labels: , ,